What Is Legal Translation
Legal translation by certified legal translators is an art and a science. Legal translation services for legal industry, e-Discovery, attorneys and lawyers require knowledge, experience and skills. And because practice makes perfect, the more legal translations you do, the better you get. But going through trial and error to become a great legal translator requires a lot of time. Reading top legal blogs written by lawyers and relevant to legal translators specializing in law translation will help develop a better grasp of the legal industry. Plus, there’s another way.
Document Translation Apps for Legal Translation
We’re going to talk about more than 30 best tools for a perfect document translation for new legal translators. They’re designed to make legal translation easier. And to turn you into a better translator faster.
As a result, with the help of these legal translation tools, you’ll always be able to produce legal document translations that are flawless.
Let’s jump right into it!
1. Linguee. This translate tool is a combination of a dictionary and a search engine. It allows you to search for words, bilingual texts, and expressions to check the meaning of them and find the contextual translation. It can also find the relevant translated document to show how the word is used.
2. The Dictionary. This translation tool combines a dictionary, thesaurus, and encyclopedia. It covers various topics (like medical, legal, or financial) and is available in multiple languages (including Spanish, French, and German).
3. Lingvo. An online dictionary that supports 20 languages. It contains over 6.5 million entries from more than 200 dictionaries. It also has a translation app for multiple platforms with a set of pre-installed dictionaries and downloadable content.
4. WordReference. This web dictionary is available since 1999. It includes 17 languages and works with 34 language combinations.
5. Lexicool. This translate tool supports 70 languages and contains entries from around 8000 dictionaries.
CAT tools (Computer Assisted Translation)
6. SDL Trados Studio. This translator app has a translation database, and includes tools for machine translation, finding terminology, and software localization. It allows you to edit, review, and manage your translation projects.
7. Memoq. This is a full-fledged CAT tool that has a trial version. Despite limitations, it’s still going to be enough for beginners.
8. Poedit. This translation tool uses Gettext system to capture translatable content. It has built-in translation memory, and provides safety checks so you won’t delete anything important.
9. Matecat. This is an open-source web-based CAT tool. It grants access to a public translation memory database with a possibility to use your own translation memory, too.
10. Google Translate. It’s impossible not to mention the most popular translator online. Many people know it, and many consider it the best translation app. For a good reason. It supports over 100 languages and its translation algorithms are always improving. It also allows instant translation from your phone’s camera, voice interpretation, and translation of handwriting. Need we say more about the language support?
11. Microsoft Translator. Here is Google’s counterpart, formerly known as Bing Translator. It has a set of pretty much the same features as the previous translator app. It also has free API, so it’s possible to include its translation features into other apps.
12. SDL Free Translation. This translate tool supports 43 languages and allows you to upload a wide variety of file formats (multiple files at once) up to 5 Mb. So, it can easily substitute document translation software.
13. Reverso Translation. Even though it only supports 13 languages, this tool delivers very accurate translation. It also features spell-checker, and has apps for iOS, Android, and Chrome extension.
14. Prompt Online Translator. This translation tool uses trademarked technologies to deliver accurate translation. It also has desktop and mobile apps, as well as API for developers and integration capabilities.
Translation management tools
15. BaccS. This is a solution for freelance translators. It features project management capabilities, CV creation, invoicing, and accounting. It will also help to generate fully customizable reports and see all the details of the current projects on a single dashboard.
16. Memsource. This is a cloud-based platform that provides a working environment for translators. It allows you to manage your projects and optimize the overall productivity of the translation process.
17. Plunet. This translation tool is going to be useful for translation departments and language service providers. It uses a web-based platform and combines translation software, a quality management system, and financial accounting in a single package.
18. Rulingo. This is a cloud-based translation business management platform. It’s equally suitable for freelancers and agencies. It combines a translation management system, CRM, and client portal. It also has CAT tools and website integration.
19. Wordbee. This is a translation management tool with collaboration possibilities. It provides finance, customer, and supplier management, as well as project management.
20. Zanata. This is a web-based platform that helps developers, content creators, and translators to manage localization projects. For translators, it also has a translation memory feature.
Translation memory tools
21. Wordfast Anywhere. A great representative of free translation tools. It’s a web-based platform and doesn’t require the installation of any software. It allows you to use this translation tool on any current platform.
22. OmegaT. Here’s another one of the free translation tools for professionals. It allows you to use multiple translation memories, create custom glossaries, and work with over 30 file formats. It’s also compatible with other translation memory tools.
23. Fusion Translate. This translation memory tool provides a working environment with all the necessary functions. It allows you to manage your translation databases and collaborate with other users. It will also provide you with contextual information during the translation.
24. Across. Across not only provides a translation memory tool, but also gives you a full translation toolkit. It allows you to edit your translations more efficiently, as well as manage your databases and terminology. Apart from that, you can also manage your projects as a whole.
25. Déjà Vu X3 Free. This is a free, slightly limited version of the Déjà Vu X3 translation memory tool. However, it has enough functionality to satisfy all the basic needs in editing translations.
26. Fluency Now. This is a CAT tool with a focus on translation memory for individual freelancers. It also includes proofreading, project management, and statistics tools for companies.
Bonus: Productivity tools that aren’t specifically made for translators (but will still be of great use)
27. Grammarly. Even though many CAT tools have built-in features to conduct proofreading, it’s still a good idea to use dedicated external tools every now and then. It’s also possible to integrate Grammarly into your browser to use it on websites.
28. OpenOffice. This is a Microsoft Office alternative to fulfill all your text writing and editing needs.
29. Google Drive. One word: collaboration. It allows several people to work on the same document simultaneously. It’s especially useful if you have tight deadlines and there’s no time to waste. It’s also a great backup tool.
30. Podio. Podio can act as a translation management tool. It has a version that allows you to manage time and organize all the current projects. It’s also a great place to store and share ideas with your team.
All Language Alliance, Inc. is the expert in legal translation services by professional human translators employing certified legal translators and lawyer-linguists in all languages. Contact us today to translate legal documents from any language and English for e-Discovery and litigation.
#alllanguagealliance #legaltranslation #legaltranslationservices #ediscoverytranslation #litigationtranslation #legaltranslator #legaldocumenttranslation